Why join Team Amano?
- Competitive hourly pay rate.
- Inclusive and supportive work environment collaborating with like-minded professionals.
- Regular CPD e.g. Assistive Technology, disability and best practice.
- Streamlined digital systems with e-signatures and e-invoicing to minimise admin time.
- Student app that enables learners to monitor remaining support hours, approve timesheets, view their DSA documents and more.
We are looking for a Specialist Mentor (Autistic Spectrum Disorder – ASD) in the Egham, South Wales, Bristol and Bath area.
Employment status: Freelance/Self-employed Consultant
As an Amano Mentor (ASD) you will:
- Provide effective support to students in a higher education setting
- Work with individuals who may face barriers to learning due to autistic spectrum characteristics and associated difficulties
- Work with your student to identify strategies to help address barriers
- Provide support that is student specific and could include activities such as time management, planning, coping with anxiety and stress situations, prioritising workload, and creating a suitable work-life balance
- Work to enhance your student’s autonomy, to monitor the effectiveness of strategies, and to help students recognise the barriers to learning created by their impairment
- Be responsible for organising sessions with your assigned students in a flexible needs led way
- Offer support on campus, in-home, or remotely as agreed with your student
- Be required to complete Amano administration promptly and accurately
- Follow Amano safeguarding, health and safety, lone working, and professional and personal boundaries policies.
The Skills Required:
As a Specialist Mentor (ASD) you will:
- Have extensive experience of working with students with disabilities and people on the autistic spectrum
- Be able to assess a student’s needs and with them establish an appropriate Individual Support Plan
- Understand the needs, objectives, and constraints of others
- Have an understanding of the particular demands of study in higher education
- Be able to clearly assess when a referral or ‘signpost’ to another service is required
- Have the ability to plan, prioritise and organise your own workload
- Have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Have good competency in using mobile IT
- Be proactive in maintaining your CPD.
Essential Qualifications and Training:
You will be educated to degree level AND hold a teaching qualification, AND you must have comprehensive training in supporting adults with autism which must include:
- All 5 National Autistic Society (NAS) core autism online training modules (Understanding autism; autism and communication; autism, stress and anxiety; autism: supporting families) OR
- Have attended and completed a NAS tutor-led course:
‘Understanding Autism’ or
‘Introduction to autism and the SPELL framework in Higher Education’ OR
- Holding a Post-Graduate Certificate in Autism/PG Certificate in Aspergers AND a teaching qualification (minimum level 4).
Amano Student Support:
Amano is a DSA-QAG accredited and certified Disabled Students Allowance Non-Medical Help Provider offering academic student support across the South West. For 8 years our reputation has been built on a professional, reliable and friendly approach to student support.
To meet the increasing demand for our first class support we are expanding our team of specialist support consultants.
The Amano approach gives:
- Student focussed support
- Academic support towards goals and aspirations
- Hassle-free arrangements
- Student choice and empowerment
- Flexibility in delivery
- Adaptable support for changing needs
Amano offer you:
- A rewarding and flexible role
- Face-to-face support from a professional and friendly team
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive CPD
- Innovative, easy-to-use Amano App.
Salary £32.10 per hour.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandatory Qualification Criteria
All Amano Learning Support Consultants are required to meet certain mandatory qualification criteria and/or have professional body membership.
Please see the DfE Guidance Document.